Sunday, October 2, 2011

From Teasing to Torment: School Climate in America - A National Report on School Bullying (reflection)

     This article is the result of research and surveys of over 3400 students and over 1000 teachers, on their thoughts, stories and experiences involving both verbal and physical abuse or harassment.  In this whole article one statistic struck me as more shocking than the rest of them. "Most (85%) secondary school teachers agree that they have an obligation to ensure a safe learning environment for LGBT students"  The first time I read it, I thought that I must have misread.  I thought it makes no sense, that only most of the teachers feel this obligation. So I reread and reread, and I came to the realization that I did not misread this, that it was not a misprint.  Yet it still did not make sense that 15% of high school teachers do not feel obligated to ensure a safe learning environment.  
     This left many unanswered questions for me.  Where were these people polled?  Was their another possible answer other than agree or disagree?  Why did these educators believe that they have no obligation to provide their students with a safe place to learn?  I wondered if they did not believe it was part of their job to provide a safe learning environment for students in general, of it was just they did not support gay lesbian bisexual or transgendered students.  Also I found it shocking that they bragged that "nearly three-quarters (73%) strongly endorsing this view."  Why don't the other 12% feel strongly about this.  Perhaps students should feel safe, but if they don't it isn't such a big deal.  
     I also found it very shocking when i read the statistic stating that "According to the survey, more than two-thirds (68%) of students say their school has some type of anti-harassment policy,"  Again, it leaves me wondering, what about the rest?  Why do only 68% of schools have an anti-harassment policy?  Do the remaining 32% of schools support harassing other students?  And only half of the schools have a specific section that deals with harassment issues of orientation and gender identity and expression.  Why don't the other half of schools make it clear that bullying lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered students is not okay and will not be tolerated.
     I was able to relate to this article because of my work on the "Tolerance Team" in Narragansett High School.  School officials came to me asking if I would be a spokesperson for this newly developing organization within the school hoping to come up with plans regarding bullying and acceptance.  Having spent quite a bit of time in my life going through depression, I realize that everyone is fighting a battle, no matter if they show it or not.  Without getting to know someone you have no idea what they are going through, and there is no reason to be one more factor making them feel more sad, or worthless.  This applies to all students of all orientations, gender, race, religion.  Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students should not have to deal with ridicule because of factors outside of their control.

5 comments:

  1. It happens to me all the time. After reading a poll or survey, I'm left wondering who the hell are these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that 32% of school SUPPORT harassing students, they just choose to do absolutely nothing about it...which can be just as bad, if not worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that statistic and thought the same about that 15% of teachers who don't feel obligated to support a safe learning environment for their own students. I think also that those 15% of teachers could possibly feel that the LGBT community has no impact on their lives (and because they are not LGBT or just are horrible people who shouldn't be teachers or just have little faith in implementing safe learning strategies) and so problems associated with LGBT become unimportant to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of the time teachers and principals refuse to believe that bullying is in their school because they don't see it and don't hear complaints from kids because they are too scared to speak up. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Shannon, a lot of them find it easier to play dumb, it truly is sad. A teacher's job should not just be to teach the children but they should also be providing a safe enviornment because honestly what child wants to learn anything in an environment full of bullying?

    ReplyDelete